[Asterisk-Users] Tools for effectively manage Asterisk

Dustin Wildes asterisk-users at vecsector.com
Tue May 31 06:33:30 MST 2005

asterisk at frameweb.it wrote:

>Hallo,
>
>we have started playing with asterisk about one month ago, and we do like
>very much what we are experiencing.
>Now we would like to take some step further towards "standardizing"
>installed modules, functionalities, tools etc.
>
>The "wall" we are facing now is: choosing the right tool for * management.
>
>We tried AMP, very powerful but incomplete (CAPI is very important to us);
>it also suffers from its prerequisites: apache, mysql, php... too much
>things that should not go in a pbx....
>
>We tried IPSwitchboard, but it seems only good as a monitor, not as a
>configuration tool (are we correct or are we missing something?)
>
>At this point we are thinking that we better abandon the idea of GUI tools
>and that we must go on the road of "vi editing" of .conf files.
>
>We would like to understand what other people are using for asterisk
>management, and to get some suggestion from the community.
>
>Any suggestion is welcome

We are working on finalizing a production release of our PhoneCALL
product, a GPL php/smarty configuration GUI for Asterisk:
http://www.vecsector.com/phonecall
I feel there is nothing wrong with having a web-based configuration
utility, if set up correctly. Look at the WRT54G Linksys router, plus
other countless devices that use an embedded browser for configurations.
It can save a lot of time on training new employees, and syntax issues
when starting out. Our goal is to have a GUI that is just as flexible as
writing configurations by hand, but not having to write it by hand. ;-)

PhoneCALL is not production ready yet, we are on 2.5-RC4 - but within a
week or so, we plan to have a very nice/clean stable version that is
production ready.
We don't have CAPI support built-in yet, but open for any help anyone
would like to lend.