[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Soekris

Mon May 30 15:54:47 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 11:10 -0500, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> > On Monday 30 May 2005 11:28, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> >
> >>How many channels could this board deal with when purely translating
> >>from G.729 IAX2 <-> G.729 SIP....
> >

> > That's not a codec translation; Asterisk can simply take the IAX2 audio frames
> > and stuff them into RTP frames without actually deconstructing the audio
> > itself and recoding it.
>
> 	Exactly.  I have people doing at least ~30 calls in that manner.

Could you describe the hardware/software and general config when you had
~30 channels working as above? I assume you mean with no affect to the
audio quality/etc as well?

> That's just glorified packet forwarding (okay not really, but I can't
> think of anything better).

Well, I hoped it would be quite similar to NAT... ie, fiddle with some
bits in the packet, but the majority of the packets contents is the
same. Though I also figure SIP <-> IAX2 does actually take 1 packet per
channel being trunked, combine it into a single packet, and then send it
off.

> > As far as "how many" -- this is where you must do the research and post
> > results.  There is no data on it at this point, mostly because people just
> > haven't done the research.  :-)
> >
> > -A.
>
> 	I know that I keep using this as an excuse, but with Asterisk there are
> just too many variables to be able to answer questions like "How many
> calls x x?"
>
> 	Codecs, protocols, trunking, re-invites, echo can., etc, make it very
> difficult to come up with numbers.  I want to do an "astertest" on this
> hardware, but have just not had enough time...

Well, up until yesterday afternoon, I was going to get three different
mini-ITX systems, and go ahead and test it, however, now I'm wondering
what the real-life reliability difference is between a via mini-itx
system, the aforementioned Soekris board, and a standard (decent) PC is.
I've seen many standard PC's last 5years +, then again, I've also seen
plenty of failures, though these are generally related to the HDD, fan,
or power supply. So, I'm wondering does anyone have real-life
comparisons on the failure rate of a PC compared to the failure rate of
some of these options??

Regards,
Adam