[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Soekris

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon May 30 09:10:23 MST 2005

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 11:28, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>
>>How many channels could this board deal with when purely translating
>>from G.729 IAX2 <-> G.729 SIP....
>

> That's not a codec translation; Asterisk can simply take the IAX2 audio frames
> and stuff them into RTP frames without actually deconstructing the audio
> itself and recoding it.

	Exactly.  I have people doing at least ~30 calls in that manner.
That's just glorified packet forwarding (okay not really, but I can't
think of anything better).

> As far as "how many" -- this is where you must do the research and post
> results.  There is no data on it at this point, mostly because people just
> haven't done the research.  :-)
>
> -A.

	I know that I keep using this as an excuse, but with Asterisk there are
just too many variables to be able to answer questions like "How many
calls x x?"

	Codecs, protocols, trunking, re-invites, echo can., etc, make it very
difficult to come up with numbers.  I want to do an "astertest" on this
hardware, but have just not had enough time...

--
Kristian Kielhofner