[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Soekris

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon May 30 08:04:11 MST 2005

Dustin Wildes wrote:
> Chris Mason (Lists) wrote:
>
>> I thought I saw a Soekris embedded in the Digium booth photos, can you
>> run
>> Asterisk on one of these? How? I'd be interested in it for a back pbx,
>> given
>> the reliability. In fact, might want to move my home pbx to this also.
>>
>> Chris Mason

> If I'm not mistaken, the Soekris hardware does fine for a few voice
> channels - but not a very high performance piece of hardware.  For
> example, if you wanted a full solution as a VPN, Asterisk server, media
> streaming via ICEs, web server, email server, etc...  it will start to
> lack in performace when compared to a VIA EDEN system which can use DDR
> memory and such.

Of course it would start to lack in performance!  You'd have to be CRAZY
to run all of that on a fanless $220 SBC!

Like anything else, the Soekris is not an end-all, be-all solution.  It
does however, work surprisingly well in a lot of different applications
and I am routinely impressed when I hear what people are doing with them
(and AstLinux). :)

--
Kristian Kielhofner