[Asterisk-Users] CRM integration (was RE: CallerID)

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Sat May 28 09:42:58 MST 2005

of client hardware.

> Could you use javascript, or java from within the browser,
> which is both portable, and likely to work on ANY browser....
> that way there is no installation as such, just visit the
> page, and leave a browser window open (minimised) which is
> 'listening' for connections ??

Sigh...

Browsers don't "listen". They inititiate a connection, process the
requested transaction with the web server, and close the connection. The
simply can't be used to "listen" for an arbitrary connection.

> > I have to agree your way takes up less resources, but if
> you modify my
> > agi script to write XML file instead of putting the data
> back in a DB,
> > the load will be close to 0 (never seen a current webserver that
> > cannot do less then 1000 xml file serves per second).

Again, this is not the way to do this. Dozens, or hundreds of clients
constantly hammering a server with "Have you got anything new? No?
OK..." messages every couple of seconds is an excellent example of how
NOT to design a system. Yes, you can get away with it, if the resources
involved are not an issue, but I think it fair to assume that for many
interested in this discussion, resources like bandwidth and CPU usage
ARE issues.

> At the end of the day, I'm sure we all agree that a push
> method is best.

Quite. Alas, that means an instance of SOMETHING on the client that can
listen for, and respond to, arbitrary events.

> Personally, I don't know enough about all these scripting
> languages etc, but if it is possible, then that would be wonderful :)

About the closest we are likely to come is with a Java applet. Even
then, there are a lot of environments that won't allow that solution
either.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.