[Asterisk-Users] Recommended Network Latency

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 27 08:25:16 MST 2005

Waldo Rubinstein wrote:

> I'm planning on setting up some remote agents and before doing so, I
> did some simple PING tests to measure latency. The average latency I
> got was 250ms. Does anyone have experience in terms of quality of  calls
> when there is such high latency? Can anyone comment?

Latency isn't the issue - you could happily carry on a call over a
2000ms latency.. satellite links can introduce this easily.

Your problem is jitter (ping stability).  Some software will calculate
this for you - eg. mtr gives the standard deviation for its ping history
(mine hovers around the 0.4 mark over 12 hops which is really stable AFAIK).

You can reduce jitter using good QoS, but it's better to have it as low
as possible to start with.

Tony