[Asterisk-Users] G729 vs. gsm

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri May 27 04:47:48 MST 2005

On May 27, 2005 06:12 am, chawki hammoud wrote:
> I installed G729 from Diguim and I was expecting the
> sound quality on my i686 machine to be better than
> gsm. Compared to gsm,  G729 sounds closer and a little
> robotic. Is this what is supposed to be or am I
> missing something?

It sounded more or less the same to me, perhaps with GSM being a little more
human (I can easily listen to music on hold with GSM).

> I am interested in G729 because the internet in my
> country is very expensive and I want to save every bit
> possible. I want to use G729 because it takes less
> bandwidth for each additional call between two IAX
> servers than other codecs.

Make sure you use IAX2 trunking then.  It can give you very large bandwidth
savings when you have multiple audio streams between two servers since the
UDP overhead is not repeated for every call.

-A.