[Asterisk-Users] Cisco Call Manager & Asterisk for Voicemail

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Thu May 26 16:09:10 MST 2005

In my particular environment, transfer directly into VM is not
important- we're geographically diverse, with almost no administrative
support- so you either answer your phone, or you forward your phone to
voicemail and let the voicemail do the work.

10 minutes with the debugger just yielded some very interesting
results, if you want to have all VM use a single number (so you don't
have to set up a separate extension for each VM box, and don't have to
do more than check 'on busy, forward to voicemail' on each extension.
It only requires a slight modification to your instructions, can run
in parallel with your solution, and should be simple to test.  The
only drawback is that you lose the caller-id info of the original
caller.  Here's what you do:

Set up a new trunk, precisely as you've configured your existing
trunk- again, make sure it's two way, and verify that it works
properly.  To do this verification, set up a new route pattern, and
point it to your new trunk- calling the new route pattern should work
precisely as your other ones do.

Make one small modification to your new trunk.  Under the 'Outbound
Calls' section, 'Calling Party Selection', set it to 'First Redirect
Number'.  Yours is most likely set to 'Originator'.

Change your dialplan to add a new 'all voicemail' extension, that
matches the number on your new Route Pattern- there should be no need
for XXX's, just straight numbers all the way through- you want an
exact match every time. The dialplan (assuming your new extension is
1799, is as follows:

exten => 1799,1,NoOp
exten => 1799,2,MailBoxExists(${CALLERID}@default)
exten => 1799,3,Congestion
exten => 1799,103,Voicemail(su${CALLERID})
exten => 1799,104,Playback(vm-goodbye)
exten => 1799,105,Hangup

As I said- the caller's caller id info is lost in the process- Cisco
doesn't seem to send any redirection fields in the PDUs that I can
find, so you have to play with the caller info- but the rest should
work like a charm.

-pbd