[Asterisk-Users] Cisco Call Manager & Asterisk for Voicemail

Shaun Ewing sewing at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:46:36 MST 2005

On 5/26/05, Paul Davidson <planac at gmail.com> wrote:

> You've done the hard bits.
>
> The bad news is that, under CCM, there's really not much in the way of
> VM configuration.  You should set up the VM Pilot stuff to your
> extension for the Asterisk voicemail- this allows you to click the
> 'voicemail' box on each extension rather than keying it in- but you
> still have to touch each extension.  You can use their automated tools
> to make systemwide changes to all extensions- but I don't trust them
> at all, and I don't think that would help you in this case.

Yep, I've setup a VM Pilot. I changed the default pilot, so the
messages key works on all phones.

Phones without a mailbox, Asterisk prompts for mailbox and password.
Phones with a mailbox, just the password.

> I'd love to see how you configured the MWI and how you've set your
> dialplan- from the way it looks, you're using a different extension
> for each mailbox.  Theoretically, there should be fields on the PDUs
> from h.323 that show the forwarding number- that's the way Unity does
> it- and you go into VM for the forwarding number, not for the
> extension dialed.  I'm not sure without playing if any of the h323
> channel drivers make the forwarding number available as a channel
> variable- if they don't, it should be a relatively trivial patch,
> assuming CCM sends it across (which I'm pretty sure it does- again,
> time to set some debugs and watch the PDUs).

The notes basically show how MWI is configured.

I am actually using a different extension for each mailbox. This is
something I setup a while ago to allow calls to be transferred direct
to somebody's mailbox, and it has proven useful for this as well.

> -pbd

-Shaun