[Asterisk-Users] YET Another echo issue PRI CARD Any help acc epted :-)

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Thu May 26 10:58:54 MST 2005

>The call always has echo on it.  The Asterisk sip extension
>hears them selves echoing.  The remote party does not notice any
>difference.

>I have also notices that the Asterisk
>levels are very hot from T1-PRI to Sip.

I have had good success fiddling with the txgain and rxgain values in
zapata.conf on my PRI. In my setup, cranking the gain down a LOT eliminated
most of the echo, and training the users to turn down the gain on their
handsets did the rest. It's true, with a PRI, that gains are cranked across
the board. Turning the gain down solves a lot of echo problems, with
negligible effect on voice quality.

In zapata.conf, set txgain=-10.0 and rxgain=-10.0 and see if the echo goes
away. If it does, sucessively raise the gains by half i.e. try -5.0 / -5.0.
If the echo comes back, try half of -10 to -5 i.e -7.5/-7.5 if it doesn't,
try half of -5 to 0 i.e -2.5/-2.5. Repeat, until you find the threshold that
works for you. Restart Asterisk after every change.

I have also noticed that SIP phones echo different. For example, X-Lite
echos a lot unless you turn down the mic and headset volume almost to the
bottom. Snom 190 echos a bit but if you turn down handset volume it goes
away. Ironically, the crappiest Grandstream BT-101 works great, perfect
audio quality if you can excuse the Wal-Mart casing, the terrible display,
and sticky buttons.

hth