[Asterisk-Users] CRM integration (was RE: CallerID)

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu May 26 09:57:05 MST 2005

On 14:01, Wed 25 May 05, Rusty Shackleford wrote:
> [...]

I'm sorry. You are correct, I didn't read it good enuf.
Remind me not to post comments when dead tired and stressed
out at work :)

> > If it was for pure HTML only, yes, you are
> > correct. But with javascript you can start a timer and
> > execute a javascript function every once in a while. If this
> > javascript loads an XML document off the server, you're there ;)
>
> So you have now instructed the browser, via javascript, to periodically
> poll the server "every once in a while".
> This is exacly what the previous poster (the one I replied to) was
> trying to AVOID, and for good reason. It doesn't scale. In order to be
> effective as a way to present the user with caller-ID driven data, it
> would have to poll quite frequently.  With a handful of clients
> constantly doing this, the impact is inconsequential, but as the number
> of clients hammering the server in this manner climbs, things are going
> to break.

I have to disagree.
I bet your PBX is not as busy as $random_website. Our PIII
with 512 MB RAM is serving 400 domains all php powered and
it does a sweet 120 GB/month.
In my tgz file the php webpage is requesting a php file that
generates XML. Of course it would be better to generate a
clean XML file with the agi so the database stuff is only
triggered on new calls.
All that is done from the clients then is reading the XML
from the server every (lets say second) once in a while.
This should be as scalable as needed for a HUGE amount of
clients.