[Asterisk-Users] Cisco Call Manager & Asterisk for Voicemail

Paul Davidson planac at gmail.com
Thu May 26 05:40:23 MST 2005

> Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:50:02 +1000
> From: Shaun Ewing <sewing at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Cisco Call Manager & Asterisk for
>         Voicemail
> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> On 5/26/05, Scott Herrick <scott at angvall.com> wrote:
> > BUMP
> > It's CM 3.3.6
> >
> > MAN that would be sweet if * could take the place of Unity!
> >
> > Anybody?
> >
> > :-)
>
> I've got it working with Callmanager 3.3(5) and Asterisk (connected
> with chan_oh323).
>
> Not totally integrated - one still needs to set call forwarding
> (busy/no answer) on each extension that needs voicemail, but MWI works
> and so does the messages button (eg: on 7960G) to retrieve VM.
>
> If somebody can tell me how to send a call in Callmanager to (for
> example) extension 27000 when 7000 is unavailable by checking the
> voicemail box (rather than entering an individual number for each
> extension), it'll be perfect.
>
> I can share my progress so far if it will be beneficial.
>
> -Shaun

You've done the hard bits.

The bad news is that, under CCM, there's really not much in the way of
VM configuration.  You should set up the VM Pilot stuff to your
extension for the Asterisk voicemail- this allows you to click the
'voicemail' box on each extension rather than keying it in- but you
still have to touch each extension.  You can use their automated tools
to make systemwide changes to all extensions- but I don't trust them
at all, and I don't think that would help you in this case.

I'd love to see how you configured the MWI and how you've set your
dialplan- from the way it looks, you're using a different extension
for each mailbox.  Theoretically, there should be fields on the PDUs
from h.323 that show the forwarding number- that's the way Unity does
it- and you go into VM for the forwarding number, not for the
extension dialed.  I'm not sure without playing if any of the h323
channel drivers make the forwarding number available as a channel
variable- if they don't, it should be a relatively trivial patch,
assuming CCM sends it across (which I'm pretty sure it does- again,
time to set some debugs and watch the PDUs).

-pbd