[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk Crashing; Not getting Core dumps

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu May 26 00:29:50 MST 2005

In article <025a01c5616b$dde89790$3400000a at cytelcom.com>,
Matthew Boehm <mboehm at cytelcom.com> wrote:
> This is frustrating. Asterisk has crashed now twice today and neither crash
> has produced a core file. My ulimit is unlimited.
>
> I'm using safe_asterisk so asterisk is restarting immediatly, but how the
> hell am I suposed to find out wtf happened with no core file? Debug log
> doesn't say anything either.

This happened to me the other week too.

Do a ps -ef and see if safe_asterisk is still running. It probably isn't.
The reason is that if asterisk is run without the -c or -f options, it
forks itself into the background, and the original invocation immediately
returns to safe_asterisk with a normal exit status.

Modify /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk so it says TTY=9 and CONSOLE=yes, which
will turn on the -c option. You should find that it then keeps coredumps
in the DUMPDROP directory, which defaults to /tmp, but could usefully be
changed to /var/log/asterisk.

Cheers
Tony
--