[Asterisk-Users] Basic newbie questions

Luis Diaz diazluis at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:55:32 MST 2005

Hi, im working with Gentoo as you toldme every user HAs a number but i
just cant find it...
i do not have any special hardware i only have VoIP,
can some one please helpme providing some example IAX and SIP users
where i can see their phone numbers?

bye and thanks!

On 5/24/05, Samy Antoun <samyantoun at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Luis Diaz <diazluis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all, im Luis from argentina
> > i started to setup asterisk in my network but i just
> > cant...
> > so i have a few questions, if some one can help me
> > with
> > examples and or explanations would be great!
> > My Setup: Asterisk 1.0.7 (on 10.0.0.254) Gentoo
>

> Hi Luis,
>
> > 1) Can i have LOCAL users on my lan?
> YES, it's better to identify the users as Extensions,
> you can have as many Extensions as you like.
>
> > 2) what should i use AIX or SIP
> If all Extensions (Users) will connect from the same
> network (10.0.0.10. 10.0.0.25 ... etc.), you can use
> SIP. If the Users will connect remotely (Anywhare at
> the Internet) IAX is the answer.
>
> > 3) can my local users have a phone number?
> They HAVE to. Any user MUST have an extension (Phone
> number)
>
> > (lets say im 1112 and i can call to my neighbour on
> > phone number 1113)
> Yes, in this case you will dial 1113 to talk to your
> nabour.
>
> > 4)what soft phone is the most compatible with
> > asterisk
> A lot of phone are Asterisk compatible, most commonly
> used SIP phone is xten (www.xten.com), IAX phone is
> Firefly (www.virbiage.com)
>

> IMPORTANT NOTE:
> I would Hieghly recommend Asterisk at home
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome), it's
> an ISO image of Asterisk with a very nice, easy to use
> web interface.
>
> Hope this helps

> Yahoo! Mail

Luis Diaz - Un obsesivo con proyectos! :oP