[Asterisk-Users] Basic newbie questions

Samy Antoun samyantoun at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 20:57:01 MST 2005

--- Luis Diaz <diazluis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, im Luis from argentina
> i started to setup asterisk in my network but i just
> cant...
> so i have a few questions, if some one can help me
> with
> examples and or explanations would be great!
> My Setup: Asterisk 1.0.7 (on 10.0.0.254) Gentoo

Hi Luis,

> 1) Can i have LOCAL users on my lan?
YES, it's better to identify the users as Extensions,
you can have as many Extensions as you like.

> 2) what should i use AIX or SIP
If all Extensions (Users) will connect from the same
network (10.0.0.10. 10.0.0.25 ... etc.), you can use
SIP. If the Users will connect remotely (Anywhare at
the Internet) IAX is the answer.

> 3) can my local users have a phone number?
They HAVE to. Any user MUST have an extension (Phone
number)

> (lets say im 1112 and i can call to my neighbour on
> phone number 1113)
Yes, in this case you will dial 1113 to talk to your
nabour.

> 4)what soft phone is the most compatible with
> asterisk
A lot of phone are Asterisk compatible, most commonly
used SIP phone is xten (www.xten.com), IAX phone is
Firefly (www.virbiage.com)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I would Hieghly recommend Asterisk at home
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome), it's
an ISO image of Asterisk with a very nice, easy to use
web interface.

Hope this helps