[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on NetBSD

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:41:20 MST 2005

On 5/21/05, Waldo Rubinstein <waldo at trianet.net> wrote:
> I was reading on the wiki that Asterisk runs very solid on NetBSD.
> Can anyone comment? What is the definition of solid? Who is running
> Asterisk on NetBSD and which version of Asterisk are you running?
>
> Also, I know there is limited support for Digium cards on NetBSD, but
> is there any support at all? Would a TE410P work in NetBSD? I want to
> build a very simple VoIP to TDM gateway. My idea is only to have the
> box connect to the PSTN with a TE410P and send or receive calls to
> other asterisk boxes using IAX2. The communication with the other
> boxes should be limited to only ulaw since they will be connected
> via, at the very least 100Mbps FastE. It doesn't even have a need to
> do any SIP or any other protocols, other than IAX2. Which version of
> Asterisk would you recommend would be most stable for this?

Couple of thoughts.

First off, go with what is known to work.   In a business critical
application I would use linux.

That said, I run asterisk on Freebsd with the zaptel ztdummy driver
and everything has worked fine.  I've been running CVS HEAD for a
couple of months with the following obervations which probably also
apply to NetBSD.  This is on my personal at home setup though, not for
our business.  I run Debian for the business.

1.  You can't compile zaptel from cvs, you have to use a bsd port.
Not sure if the Freebsd port would work with Netbsd, but it should
without too much tweaking.

2.  mpg123 always hangs on freebsd.  Use madplayer instead.

3.  Zaptel on freebsd has limited hardware support.

Chris