[Asterisk-Users] Outbound dialing issue with FXO

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 20 13:03:35 MST 2005

"you must first dial a 1 or 0" message back from telco when dialing out standard POTS lines.

> >>Yes, it does seem to be working fine now by adding the "w"s to the  dialstring.
> >>

> >The following is intended to provide a little bit of info as to why
> >the "w" is needed when dialing via some central offices (pstn fxo's).
> >
> >Several telephone companies still have older electro-mechanical central office switches.
> >
> Perhaps, bu AFAIK, there are NONE left in North America, certainly none
> left in the US or Canada.

There are still "lots" of them in the US, and I personnal know some of
the technicians that have to work on them. And, a number of those have
CO Centrex through those same old switches.

> None of this excuses the inability or unwillingness of Asterisk to
> listen for Dial Tone. The modem card used for single FXO (  the X100P
> and clones ) certainly had that ability in its former life as a modem.
> Has this ever been reported as a bug?

Yes, several times when the x100p was a popular analog interface, and
a few have asked (but don't think a feature-request was produced)
relative to the TDM-fxo card.

> It seems to be necessary in electronic offices as well, when dial tone
> is delayed.

Right on.

What was S-C's early electronic switch (back when the DMS10 first came
out)?  If I recall, wasn't that a cross-point switch with some sort of
processor control that pulled in dtmf receivers when calls were
initiated?  Think Orange City Iowa is still using that switch, but not
absolutely sure about that.