[Asterisk-Users] How much CPU power needed for asterisk

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Thu May 19 20:53:41 MST 2005

To my knowledge and experience you don't need much CPU power.
I don't have Digium card only Sipura-3000 units and when I compile
something on Gentoo (CPU usage goes up to 99% and stays there when
compiling), when calls comes in on PSTN line and/or I make a call out
over IP at the same time, nobody notices any difference in call quality,
echo or any other problems; so I don't think you have to worry about CPU
power for Asterisk.

You will more likely run out of IRQ assignment for your internal cards
than CPU power :-)

#Joseph

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 14:01 -0400, Michael Stahl wrote:
> I'm thinking of placing Asterisk on an itx motherboard in a tiny case.
> The ITX motherboards top out around 400Mhz PII (in terms of power
> relative to a desktop).
>
> How much CPU would I need for an office of 50 people?  How much disk
> storage for voicemail + OS?  (typical / average)
>
> The system will have no PCI cards (no Digium FSO/FXO cards) -
> everything over the LAN connection.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
#Joseph