[Asterisk-Users] Best Compression Available

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu May 19 17:20:57 MST 2005

Michael Welter wrote:

> Michael Stearne wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What would you say that the best compression format is for voice
>> recordings on Asterisk?  The tradeoff being the file's size.  I like
>> GSM because of the small files size but the quality isn't great.  What
>> are people finding as a good setting for GSM?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>

> And since g.729 is "predictive", does that mean it is for English
> speakers?  Or will it work equally well for, say, Chinese?

Almost all low bit rate codecs are predictive. That doesn't mean they
favour any one language, though some favour men over women (they do a
better job with a low pitched voice). Tonal languages, like Cantonese,
do tend to suffer more with low bit rate codecs than most western
languages. This is because the pitch of the voice is less accurately
preserved. In that sense, Chinese may suffer more than English using
almost any low bit rate codec.

Regards,
Steve