[Asterisk-Users] OT: carrying a router, firewall, switch, server, some phones with me on flight to Europe

Giles Coochey giles.coochey at mirada-solutions.com
Thu May 19 06:28:16 MST 2005

> Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] OT: carrying a router,
> firewall, switch, server, some phones with me on flight to Europe
>

> Well here's a suggestion - a little crazy - but works... Most
> equipment is
> taking the 120vac and converting it into DC voltage. So why
> not just feed it
> DC voltage directly???
> We had a situation where our field techs needed to test dsl
> circuits and
> voip ata from the demarcation point outside a house or
> business. A UPS might
> have worked - but the down conversion of 12v dc battery in
> ups up to 120vac
> to power the plugs on the ata and modem - just to convert
> back down to 12
> and 5.. Make sense... Common electronics theory tells you
> that there is
> waste in step-up/step-down === heat...
> So maybe that's an idea... I took a UPS battery and a small
> project case
> from common electronics retail store... Then bought me a very
> small voltage
> regulator and soldered it in the case.... I was able to split
> off 12v and 5v
> from the ups battery and run for days...
> Sounds like weird science - but it works!!

Sounds fun, a lot of equipment is becoming available now with 5/12V
power connectors these days.

Couple of notes:

* While most PC PSUs these days are 100-240V, and they seem to have no
problems operating both in Europe and the US. UPSs are different,
however, they are almost universally either 110V or 240V only, and
there's not even a switch to switch between the two voltages. APC will
sell you either a US or a EU version, and usually only if they're
shipping to the destination.

* Just a small UPS will probably do your baggage allowance in as well
:-)