[Asterisk-Users] OT: carrying a router, firewall, switch, ser ver, some phones with me on flight to Europe

Huddleston, Robert RHuddleston at cavtel.com
Thu May 19 06:09:56 MST 2005

Well here's a suggestion - a little crazy - but works... Most equipment is
taking the 120vac and converting it into DC voltage. So why not just feed it
DC voltage directly???
We had a situation where our field techs needed to test dsl circuits and
voip ata from the demarcation point outside a house or business. A UPS might
have worked - but the down conversion of 12v dc battery in ups up to 120vac
to power the plugs on the ata and modem - just to convert back down to 12
and 5.. Make sense... Common electronics theory tells you that there is
waste in step-up/step-down === heat...
So maybe that's an idea... I took a UPS battery and a small project case
from common electronics retail store... Then bought me a very small voltage
regulator and soldered it in the case.... I was able to split off 12v and 5v
from the ups battery and run for days...
Sounds like weird science - but it works!!