[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream GXP-2000 and good support

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed May 18 22:43:42 MST 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Anton Krall wrote:

> Peter.. I just bought a gxp 2000 and I wanted to know, how are you
> configuring them using templates?

There is a template->binary config file compiler available from the
download page at the Grandstream web site. Fill in the template and serve
it via http or tftp.

> Some thing really dissapointed me and I sent some emails to GS about it. For
> example, ilbc is not supported eventhough it says so on the brochure...
> Seems they were eager to release the phone before finishing stuff... Like
> the conf button which does nothing.

Yes, not all the features are enabled yet. However, at the moment the
phone is a lot more capable than almost any sip phone costing twice as
much. It works well enough for what we need it for, and if they add the
promised features later on that is just iceing on the cake. Grandstream
should have been more up front with what whas implemented and what was
only planned.

> Also, you have such a good screen and callerid displays only half the info
> cause the other part is taken by "Talking to" or "Calling..." callerid could
> be 2 lines. Also, caller name is shown and not caller id num.

Most of these issues were corrected in the testing firmware we received.
Hopefully it will be released soon.

> You cant do 3 way conf calls.

Not really a problem for us, we use meetme conferences exclusivly anyway.

> And the mad echo when using the spakerphone.....

Yes, as a speaker phone it is lacking. Still, not the most important
feature by far. Speaker phones belong in a meeting room, not in an office,
unless you have closed doors.

Compared to Cisco phones the GXP-2000 wins hands down, if you factor in
price at all. Given the large difference in price I'd say it beats most
other phones as well.

Peter