[Asterisk-Users] SIP: Failed to authenticate

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Wed May 18 10:23:34 MST 2005

Hello--

Looking for a solution. I'm using asterisk HEAD version, from a day or
two ago. Trying to register with a Metaswitch voip server via sip.

They gave me a userid, and a password. I plug it into a register command
in sip.conf:

register => 3074449999:pword at isp

[isp]
realm=voip.isp.net
auth=3074449999#c491b58f6fd6da12691fa0de86fbbcc3 at voip.isp.net
type=peer
context=workline
host=voip.isp.net
username=3074449999
md5secret=c491b58f6fd6da12691fa0de86fbbcc3
; usereqphone=yes

and the logs show:

NOTICE[16299] chan_sip.c: Failed to authenticate on REGISTER to
'<sip:3074449999 at voip.isp.net>;tag=as11f194ab'

I use md5sum to generate the md5secret...

echo -n "3074449999:voip.isp.net:pword" | md5sum

as advised in the wiki...

What do you do with a SIP server that wants md5 authent?

I've tried all sorts of permutations on this theme in the sip.conf file,
I won't bore you with them here....

(Of course, I've modified all private info to protect the innocent...
well, me, at least).

Anybody can give me a pointer or two?

murf

--