[Asterisk-Users] Is SKYPE a threat or should we do something(together)

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue May 17 11:33:41 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 09:44 -0700, Kerry Garrison wrote:
> Skype is to Asterisk as Instant Messaging is to e-mail. Is e-mail dead? Is
> IM a threat? Asterisk is a full featured PBX system, how does this relate to
> a P2P messaging system? How many businesses will be dropping their current
> phone service and having Skype accounts on every desk? I am
> thinking......probably none.
>
> -Kerry

More importantly why is everything that does something similar a
'threat'?  Why cant people have a choice in what they use and how they
use it without it being a 'threat' to something else?

I believe in choice, I think that people should be able to choose what
they want, to classify things as threats simply becuase everyone doesnt
do something the same way as someone else, ie they have freedom to
choose, I think sets up a mindset that everything must be adversarial.

In reality skype is marketing hype (p2p when its really direct between
the two endpoints, but p2p is a marketing term because everyone can feel
like a rebel for using it) and a proprietary voip protocol.

I read that people offered a bounty for asterisk and skype integration,
but as of yet I havent seen anyone acutally code this, and the skype
makers do not appear to want to release details for usage.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402