[Asterisk-Users] One * server unavailable when multiple servers connected together

Nabeel Jafferali asterisk-lists at x2n.ca
Tue May 17 08:00:43 MST 2005

Hello.

I was just brainstorming for a future project and was hoping to get some
creative ideas from the list. If I have multiple * servers at multiple
locations all connected together with a nicely partitioned dialplan (2XX for
office 1, 3XX for office 2, etc.) it's pretty straightforward to link them
all using IAX and allow intra-office transfers.

Further, servers at each location are necessary because access to the PSTN
is required in all offices.

However, what do people do if a connection to one or more servers is down.
Let's say someone calls into office 1 and the person needs to be transferred
to someone in office 2. The person who picked up the phone hits blindxfer
and 305 for example. Now, the Internet at either office 1 or office 2 is
down, therefore the call cannot be completed. Since voicemail for 305 is on
the server at office 2, the call cannot even get to voicemail.

Any ideas on what to do? The only thing I came up with is to also create
local voicemail boxes that email the voicemail to the user when the 'net
connection comes back. I was wondering if there were any more creative
ideas.

Thanks for reading.

--
Nabeel Jafferali