[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk - fax - spandsp

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue May 17 05:54:32 MST 2005

Hi Jean-Yves,

As a new topic it would have been nicer to everyone to start a new thread.

Are you talking about sending or receiving faxes?

txfax can insert a header on each page when it sends a fax. There is a
parameter for that.

When a fax is received the header you see is part of the image. As such,
it ends up in the TIFF file as part of the image. It is not available as
text anywhere. The only way to make it available as text would be to
implement OCR. That is complex and messy, and I have no intention to
try. The only information sent between the FAX machines as text is the
"identifier" - a 20 character string, which the standard says should be
digits, and which is usually set to the telephone number of the FAX machine.

Regards,
Steve