[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Credit Card Machines

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue May 17 05:38:09 MST 2005

> I am planning to deploy an Asterisk server at a local restaurant and was
> thinking:  I hear a lot of troubles using fax machines with IP trunks.
> What about using Credit Card readers?  Same basic technology right?  A
> slow modem to negotiate the transaction.  Does anyone have any caveats?
> Suggestions?
>
> Incidentally, the credit cards might be on POTS lines with a Digium
> TDM22B.  Any concerns using this arrangement?

Better test it before making any commitments. The credit card reader
will be using a modem, and modem transmissions throught the TDM card
have been problematic for a large percentage of those using it.

There are a very large number of potential show-stoppers with it, and
the majority seem to be system dependent. Therefore comments from
others will be almost useless in terms of ensuring an operational
system.

Having worked with several relative to TDM problems, I'd have to guess
that somewhere near 90% of the implementations won't handle fax/modem
calls. However, I have no idea whether those problems will impact the
slower-speed credit card reader modem use.

If it doesn't work, a reasonable alternative might be to use an
spa-1000 (or the equivalent), but that would need to be tested as well.