[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and a D/42NS

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Tue May 17 01:39:56 MST 2005

On 17 May 2005, at 02:21, Corey Hickey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The company I work for deploys and manages telecom hardware for
> small- to
> medium-sized businesses. My boss has asked me to investigate
> Asterisk as a
> possible PBX for deploying to customers along with IP phones. The
> general
> layout would be:
>
>  --------------                                     ----------
> |    trunk     |            ----------             |  LAN,    |
> | (T1/analogs/ |  =======> | Asterisk | =========> |IP phones |
> | etc.)        |            ----------              ----------
>  --------------
>
> I'm building a test machine right now to experiment with using one
> of our
> analog lines. We have two spare Dialogic D/42NS cards, and I was
> hoping I
> would make one of them work. Has anyone tried that model? I haven't
> found
> any information, good or bad.
>
> The supported hardware list on asterisk.org has the D/41JCT-LS. Is
> that a
> very similar card? Could I "pretend" the D/42NS is a D/41JCT-LS?

The advice I was given when I started down the same line a year ago was:
Forget the dialogic, the drivers are old and not free and almost no-
one is
using them. You are better off just buying a well supported card
(ideally
from Digium).

There are technical and legal reasons why the Dialogics don't fit
into the Asterisk world view - as such even if you do get it to work
it won't be representative of what you'd actually install for a
customer.

What I did was to build a system that was 100% voip using spare old
hardware and played with it until I was comfortable with Asterisk, then
splashed out on an E1 card and some dedicated hardware.

Turned out fine for us.

Tim