[Asterisk-Users] Forwarding To Cell Phones with Asterrisk PBX

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon May 16 14:47:28 MST 2005

Yeah, I have it in my dialplan and use it heavily. Just make another Dial()
command to the cellphone the next priority in the dialplan underneath the
Dial() statement for your extension. For example:

Extension is: 12345
SIP extension is: SIP/12345
Cell number is: 555-1212

in Extensions.conf:

[myphonecontext]

exten => 12345,1,Dial(SIP/12345,40) 'Dial extension 12345 for 40 seconds. If
no one picks up then...
exten => 12345,2,Dial(ZAP/g0/5551212,25) 'Forward the call out to the user's
cell. Once they pick up, a native bridge of ZAP channels occur and Asterisk
is out 'of the media stream
exten => 12345,3,(anything else that happens later, like go to voicemail,
etc)

It's important to time how long it takes for the remote user's cellphone to
pick up for voicemail. If the user's voicemail on the cell kicks in after,
say 4 rings, time your second Dial() command to be just short of that,
otherwise the remote caller will get the cell phone's voicemail, which is
probably not the desired behavior. In my case, I set it for 25 seconds, as
our cells' voicemail kicks in after 30 seconds. If there's no call pickup on
the cell, call processing continues to the next priority, which is voicemail
or IVR depending on what number they called.

Also note that once the native bridging happens, you are using two lines, 1
inbound to Asterisk, and 1 outbound from Asterisk to the cell phone. Line
capacity becomes an issue unless you have lots of channels, like a PRI, or
if your useage is light, like no more than 1/2 of your total Zap channels
could be inbound and forwarded to your remote user's cells at any one point
in time.

hth