[Asterisk-Users] FXO/FXS suggestions:

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon May 16 07:58:23 MST 2005

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>>Your only choice for zaptel type is the TDM card.
>>>
>>>Probably the next best choice is the spa3000.
>>>

>>I wish I could find out for sure how well the spa-3000 FXO works with *
>>and same for the Grandstream Handytone 488. I need FXO-SIP conversion in
>>places where I don't need a PC.
>>

>The spa3k works pretty good in most cases; been using one for several
>months without any major issues and know of lots of others doing the
>same. It can be a little time consuming figuring out the many config
>options available though. (Use the tool at voxilla.com to help, and then
>review what the tool changed as sort of an educational thing.)
>
>Its my understanding from others the 488 does not support the fxo port
>as an addressable sip port from *. Its only accessible from the fxs
>port, apparently as a fallback or something like that.
>
>I've got my spa3k set up sort of like a mini pbx. The dialplan within
>it is configured to send all calls starting with an "8" out the voip
>port, while all other calls default to fxs -> fxo dialing. No remedial
>training required for non-technical users, and * is not in the middle
>of normal local calls.
>
>Another spa3k is configured for the fxs port to register with *, and
>the fxo port also registers with asterisk, forcing asterisk to be in
>the middle of all calls. In this case, one must use the g711 codec as
>apparently there isn't enough horsepower to run to simultanous g729
>sessions at the same time. For this config to function, one has to
>essentially call-forward any incoming fxo calls to asterisk. Not a
>big deal at all; works fine.
>
>Given the cost of the spa, try one to see if it meets all of your
>requirements.

I really appreciate your reply and those of others who have shared their
experiences with the SPA-3000. I have had good experiences with my other
SPA-xxxx devices so I will be ordering an SPA-3000. Maybe Sipura will
cook up some multi-FXO products in the future. Meanwhile, I would
consider a stack of 4 SPA-3000 units to be a reasonable cost solution
even if I didn't need the 4 FXS ports. I actually plan to always config
1 FXS port at any location for techs that are there. I get bad results
with cell phones in server rooms so the FXS port is a bonus.