[Asterisk-Users] FXO/FXS suggestions:

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon May 16 04:57:34 MST 2005

> >>Im looking for a zaptel type device with one (or more) FXO and one
> >>(or more) FXS port. Basically this guy would sit in-line of your
> >>phone line (PCI card). Any suggestions? TDM400 would be overkill.
> >>

> >Your only choice for zaptel type is the TDM card.
> >
> >Probably the next best choice is the spa3000.
> >

> I wish I could find out for sure how well the spa-3000 FXO works with *
> and same for the Grandstream Handytone 488. I need FXO-SIP conversion in
> places where I don't need a PC.

The spa3k works pretty good in most cases; been using one for several
months without any major issues and know of lots of others doing the
same. It can be a little time consuming figuring out the many config
options available though. (Use the tool at voxilla.com to help, and then
review what the tool changed as sort of an educational thing.)

Its my understanding from others the 488 does not support the fxo port
as an addressable sip port from *. Its only accessible from the fxs
port, apparently as a fallback or something like that.

I've got my spa3k set up sort of like a mini pbx. The dialplan within
it is configured to send all calls starting with an "8" out the voip
port, while all other calls default to fxs -> fxo dialing. No remedial
training required for non-technical users, and * is not in the middle
of normal local calls.

Another spa3k is configured for the fxs port to register with *, and
the fxo port also registers with asterisk, forcing asterisk to be in
the middle of all calls. In this case, one must use the g711 codec as
apparently there isn't enough horsepower to run to simultanous g729
sessions at the same time. For this config to function, one has to
essentially call-forward any incoming fxo calls to asterisk. Not a
big deal at all; works fine.

Given the cost of the spa, try one to see if it meets all of your
requirements.