[Asterisk-Users] Transferring a call, IAX2->SIP, DTMF/RFC2833 doesn't work?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan at nextalarm.com
Sat May 14 08:18:44 MST 2005

We are using Asterisk 1.0.7. We have this scenario:

IAX2 user comes in to Asterisk, dials an extension, and transfers to a
SIP user.

The dial command is simple, looks like this:

exten => 300,1,Dial(SIP/300)

Extension 300 is a legacy PBX device operated by touchtones. The user
(coming in over IAX2) is trying to drive this PBX using touchtones. But
the trouble is, by the time the touchtones go out to the SIP extension,
it's being sent as audio, not as RFC2833. An ethereal trace confirms
this. DTMF is arriving to Asterisk (via IAX2) as OOB data, but no
RFC2833 is going back out to the SIP device. The SIP device is
configured to use RFC2833 wherever possible.

This doesn't work because the DTMF is arriving really choppy-sounding,
and the PBX doesn't recognize it.

Am I doing something wrong? Help would be appreciated!

P.S. When we go IAX2-->Asterisk-->IAX2, DTMF OOB is preserved correctly.
This is just when we go IAX2-->Asterisk-->SIP.