[Asterisk-Users] MusicOnHold "zombie" mpg123 processes

Fri May 13 20:52:39 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 15:12 -0500, Lane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KMail crashed because I saved too many asterisk-users messages ... now I have
> to ask directly, instead of searching in my private archive :)
>
> Here's the problem:  I'm using MusicOnHold, running mpg123, but I notice that
> the processes don't die even after the user hangs up.  They just sort of
> "freeze" and stop consuming cpu (I hope).
>
> Is there a way (within asterisk) to flush these processes completely?  Or
> should I just run a cron job?

AFAIK, you should get two process for each class you define in
musiconhold.conf, they will only consume CPU while there is one or more
people in that MoH class, but the process won't exit until asterisk
does. Frequently, if asterisk crashes, it won't get a chance to kill the
mpg123 processes, and hence you will end up with a lot of extraneous
processes. The best fix is to work out why asterisk is crashing, and fix
it.

Regards,
Adam