[Asterisk-Users] Problem with MeetMe

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu May 12 21:12:05 MST 2005

Adam,

See my comments below:

On May 12, 2005, at 10:12 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 10:35 -0400, Daniel Salama wrote:
>
>> What I have discovered is that my motherboard only supports usb-ohci
>> and not usb-uhci. Reading on the wiki, it says that ztdummy requires
>> usb-uhci.
>>
>> To make things worse, I slapped in a TDM22B just to get timer
>> support, only to discover that the machine kept crashing because of a
>> hardware conflict with my RAID controller. Really weird!
>>

> This is always an interesting question, but when you say "the machine
> kept crashing" is that a bios issue, or a linux (and modules)
> issue? ie,
> does it not bootup, does it work fine then after x minutes you get a
> oops, or a what?? You don't provide *ANY* details.... did you try
> putting the various cards in different slots? What type are the slots
> you are using? etc...

Sorry for being vague. Yes, I tried different slots 32-bit and 64-bit
PCI slots. The machine boots fine. After a few minutes of working,
there was a constantly scrolling error message on the console about a
TDM interrupt conflict. At that point, the machine was unresponsive,
other than the error message continuously scrolling. I had to hard
boot the machine. In one occasion, I was able to see a message that
was 3ware RAID controller stopped working. I couldn't really diagnose
it so well because this was during work hours and the machine had to
be in production, so I had to remove the TDM22B board and let the
machine continue working without it (and without MeetMe either).

>> Anyway, my only three other options are:
>> 1) Compile kernel 2.6, which I'd hate to do
>>

> Why, I don't see what it is about 2.6.x kernel that is so bad compared
> to 2.4.x kernel??? 2.6.x is the current stable linux kernel
> version....
> IMHO, it just works better....

I agree. I also prefer 2.6.x. That's what I run on my Debian
machines. However, REL3 does not  support 2.6.x. They don't even have
an RPM for it. I would have to get one from kernel.org and that would
void any support Red Hat may provide.

>> 2) Replace either the motherboard or the RAID controller, which is
>> worse than option 1
>>

> Depends, if you end up with a better machine in the end? though I
> don't
> see how (1) is bad at all, so yes, this would be worse :)

It's a pretty good machine I'm using (dual Xeon). The only thing that
would make it "better" would be to make MeetMe work :)

> Just my 0.02c worth...
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Thanks,