[Asterisk-Users] VoiceBlue GSM

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at MIT.EDU
Thu May 12 09:33:10 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 17:42 +0200, Etienne Pretorius wrote:
> Some digging around produced a Falcon 2D GSM modem... but I can't find
> nor imagine how to connect that device to
> asterisk (physically: a serial connection to the box is easy) but how
> asterisk will use it is a completely different question.

Such a device is just a modem. Unless it has separate audio
inputs/outputs, it won't help you except to send data using GPRS.

Something that could work is a PCMCIA card such as the Sierra Wireless
cards (http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/pccards.asp) or
the Sony Ericcson card, or any other one for that matter. (Why do I put
the link in for the sierra card? because i happen to know my way around
their site. i have no idea how these cards compare) You will of course
need a PCMCIA -> PCI adapter; do NOT get one that allows you to put the
card in on the front of the computer as those only support 16-bit
cardbus, and most of these cards are 32-bit.

I've used it on windows with an SMS gateway that would forward SMS's
around (www.nowsms.com), but these cards can also be used for calls. How
you integrate that with asterisk -- I have no idea. The drivers only
exist for windows, and while I bet the device just comes up as a general
modem device on linux, I would have no idea how to get it to do voice.

Good luck.