[Asterisk-Users] VoiceBlue GSM

Etienne Pretorius etiennep at kingsley.co.za
Thu May 12 08:42:14 MST 2005

Sorry for my delayed response Selon ,

I am setting up a test Asterisk box in our company to replace our
current switchboard and well -
GSM connection was one of the requirements for me to do to allow
asterisk to replace our switchboard.
(The others are not going to well... or they are finally done)

Some digging around produced a Falcon 2D GSM modem... but I can't find
nor imagine how to connect that device to
asterisk (physically: a serial connection to the box is easy) but how
asterisk will use it is a completely different question.

And well the aim of the game is to impress - and to get asterisk to
replace our PBX.

"2-) You can buy a voip2GSM Gateway. To which you no longer need
hardware..."

I was under the impression that you require hardware to connect your
asterisk box up to the GSM network.

Anyway, all that I require is a means to connect to a GSM provider
(cellular network) to make and receive cellular calls.
I have been googling a bit and the list has some info about it, but
people were talking about using a Siemens Home station or the like...
and that sounded a bit like a work-around to me. Then VoiceBlue... well,
it looked good - I mean, it says it'll do everything that I will
require and that it works with asterisk. (I presume as a SIP device or
the like that you Dial). That was it - I could not find a price on
the web you see - the South African Rand does not fair well against USD
or the GBP... so I need to know if it is a solution for me.

The added bit was the SMS capability - that I know asterisk can do but I
need to see if the hardware supports it.
To send - should be easy... to receive will be more difficult. But both
is desired.

(Asterisk+OpenXchange) just a thought.

Kind Regards
Etienne