[Asterisk-Users] GSM gateway for Asterisk

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu May 12 08:54:27 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 11:27 -0400, Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:
> Folks!
>
> I am looking at a couple of models of Fixed GSM Gateways for the Purpose of VOIP connectivity and specifically to work with Asterisk. I found that  these can be imported into USA for about $99.99 or about that. This is a one channel unit just like tellular, one of them has GPRS.

Something like this is similar to what I was asking about in a different
thread, however a SIP/GSM protocol converter would be more ideal.
Passively passing all data from the GSM network to the mobile and vice
versa, thus removing any requirement for a SIM in the GSM device that
gets installed.

Basically the mobile would register through this becuase the signal
strength is stronger, outbound calls would be routed to the PBX via SIP
(or other, SIP would make more sense as its more universal), inbound GSM
calls would be transparently bridged to the real mobile, all auth data
would be passed so the mobile would have the SIM and perform as if it
were directly connected to the GSM network.

A SIP IM to GSM SMS bridge would also be really ideal.

The ability for the SIP interface to cause a call to be initiated to the
GSM network would also be ideal (granted this would require the phone to
accept the auth data and reply accordingly, which could be a bit tricky,
but if the GSM mobile user attempted to place a call it should work,
although routing for that would have to exist on the GSM protocol
converter itself rather than via the PBX.

This would effectively turn any GSM phone into a pbx extension and/or
SIP phone, with the ability for calls to come into that phone from the
GSM network.

I strongly feel that SIP would be better than trying to tie in an Abis
interface into the PBX (those do exist commonly as a nanocell or
picocell transceiver).

Because the protocol converter does not need to decrypt via A5 the GSM
calls, GSM MoU approval should not be required.

In theory one could buy gsm transceiver boards and make their own device
using an embedded (or just nanoitx and non embedded) solution, slap on
some supported operating system and asterisk in the unit itself.
Granted it would not always need to be a full on asterisk implementation
since it does a very limited subset of features, but could be.  That
could incrase the SIP to all supported protocols.

--
Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com
UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402