[Asterisk-Users] Satellite Providers

Chad Wicker cwicker at petrocom.com
Wed May 11 14:06:06 MST 2005

Well there are several problems in your description of Satellite
services.  For one you are grouping several differing technilogies
together as one.  What it seemed like you were testing was a shared
bandwidth solution typically used by providers to reduce cost.  It isn't
uncommon to experience sever delays and packet loss on these types of
systems.  Alot of these shared providers "claim" 64k cir then
oversubscribe over that.  Lies, yes, theift yes, and they get away with
it...  What you would want to ask for is a SCPC (Single Carrier Per
Channel) circuit and you should have much better results, cost? a lot
more than these shared solutions.  You may want to look into the
maritime providers/teleports in the area for this type of service.
Delay for a decent circuit should not be over 600 ms and it should be
steady.  Proof is in the pudding, in a SCPC circuit with a v.35
interface you can run an extended BERT test on it without error. and
that's Sync data...

I speak confidently on this as we are a provider of VSAT services in
the oilfield industry.  We are bombarded with these "low cost"
competition and have to defend ourselves daily. Alot of providers sell
crap at a decent price.  We don't and won't.  It hurts our market
penetration but we tend to keep customers for a good long time.  I can
answer a lot of questions on this subject if anyone needs.  It's a lot
like point to point microwave, they experienced their "bandwidth
sharing" days and they quickly died on the vine.  The driving force
behind shared solutions is that satellite bandwidth is expensive.

Chad C. Wicker
Systems Engineer
Petrocom

>>> brucek at bagel.com 5/11/2005 1:06:52 PM >>>
We looked at this earlier this year and, after evaluating several
companies, could not get it to work well enough.  The problem didn't
seem
to be latency, but rather lost packets in the upstream direction.  Most
of
the time, we couldn't even get the phone to register, but even when we
could, there was such a large amount of breakup (in the up direction)
that
it was nearly unusable.  We tried low-end, consumer type services and
they
didn't work at all.  Even the high-end services that claim to offer
guaranteed bandwidth apparently do not live up to their claims.  We
tried
running G.729, which should only need about 32-40k over a link that
claimed to guarantee 64k, and the best we got was broken sound.

Bruce Komito
High Sierra Networks, Inc.
www.servers-r-us.com
(775) 236-5815

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Yiannis Costopoulos wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 	I am investigating the deployment of VoIP/* in Eastern European
areas where
> there is no PSTN infrastructure. As you can understand DSL/Cable
connections
> are a dream. The only option is satellite.
>
> Does anyone know of any satellite providers that have low
enough/acceptable
> delays for VoIP?
>
> Thanks,
> Yiannis.

> This message has been categorized as "Legitimate" by Bayesian
Analyzer.
> If you do not agree, please click on the link below to train the
Analyzer.

http://nospam.wpti.net/bt/a.aspx?M=C:%5Csmtpmail%5CBayesTraining%5C2005-05-11%5Cc819e577de1140fbaa62d0a53c83de86&C=2

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: