[Asterisk-Users] Multiple Calls with Asterisk?

Callum McGillivray callummc at ains.net.au
Mon May 9 22:11:44 MST 2005

Good suggestion Paul  - The wiki should give you a good idea of how this
works.

Here are some basics if it helps;

1 land line (a POTS line =  Plain Old Telephony Service) will only carry
1 call.  If you want to be able to carry more than 1 call, you will need
to either get several POTS lines or an ISDN line (T1, E1 etc).

When you have a "VOIP" line, I gather that you are referring to having
an IP handset that a user can use to make and receive calls.  Asterisk
will allow you to connect hundreds of IP handsets via your network,
however if you only have 1 POTS line, only one of those IP handsets will
be able to make or receive a calls to regular telephone numbers at any
given time.

Calls between handsets are connected via asterisk, and will not cost
anything (and you can make as many of those as you want). However if you
want to call someone on their regular telephone number, you will need a
connection to the PSTN (Public Switch Telephone Network).

A POTS line will give you 1 "connection" to the PSTN, an ISDN line can
give you between 2 and 30 "connections" to the PSTN.

There are several different cards available that will allow you to
connect several POTS lines or ISDN lines to your asterisk machine.

If you had 10 IP handsets and you wanted everyone to be able to call
their home number at the same time, you would need 10 "connections" to
the PSTN, so an ISDN line would seem most suitable.

If you have 10 IP handsets and you wanted 3 people to be talking to 3
other people on IP handsets (which are also connected to your asterisk
machine), and 4 people calling their home telephone numbers, you would
need 4 "connections" to the PSTN, which could be achieved by using
either POTS lines or ISDN lines.

Now, the terminology that I have used here is not exactly correct... but
if you follow Pauls suggestion and read up on the WIKI, you will get a
much better understanding of what you can and can't do.

So, to answer your questions;

1. If your 1 "land line" was an ISDN line, then yes, you would have 10
people talking to their appropriate parties, if you had 1 POTS line,
then no, the other 9 users would get an engaged signal.
2. A connection is both ways, so if you had an ISDN line with 10
"connections" (actually called "channels"), then you could have 5 people
calling in and 5 people calling out, but not 10 people calling in and 10
people calling out.
3. The analogue line moves to the VOIP line at the asterisk server, in
particular, one of those "cards" that I mentioned, that you use to plug
an analogue (or digital) telephone line into your server.
4. Asterisk maintains the connection for you, it will "hang up" the line
when the appropriate response is sent from one party or another.

If you want to learn how to talk on this list, then reading the wiki,
digium's site and the asterisk.org site are your best bets.

Cheers,

Callum