[Asterisk-Users] Central Asterisk Server and Asterisk VoIP Gateway

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Mon May 9 20:16:35 MST 2005

I'm setting up a demo for two asterisk machines. One will be a
central Asterisk server which will handle everything already in VoIP
(office-like functions plus agents functionality). The second
Asterisk box will be used strictly as a VoIP gateway to the first
server.

The gateway server will have 4 T1s connected to it and what I was
thinking on doing was the following:

in /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf

switchtype = dms100
signalling = em_w
group = 1
context = inbound
channel => 1-96

What I'm trying to accomplish here is to create one huge trunk group
where ALL incoming calls will be directed to the inbound context.

On the same machine, /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf
[general]
MAIN_SERVER = IAX2/inbound:gateway at 192.168.0.10

[inbound]
exten => _N.,1,Dial(${MAIN_SERVER}/${EXTEN})
exten => _N.,2,Congestion
exten => _N.,3,HangUp

[outbound]
exten => _N.,1,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN})
exten => _N.,2,Congestion
exten => _N.,3,HangUp

On the main Asterisk server, I would have in /etc/asterisk/
extensions.conf:
[general]
GATEWAY = IAX2/outbound:server at 192.168.0.20

[inbound]
exten => 1234,1,Dial(SIP/100,20,t)
exten => 1234,2,VoiceMail(uSIP/100)
exten => 1234,102,VoiceMail(bSIP/100)

exten => _N.,1,Dial(SIP/500,20,t)
exten => _N.,2,VoiceMail(uSIP/500)
exten => _N.,102,VoiceMail(bSIP/100)

[outbound]
exten => _N.,1,Dial(${GATEWAY}/${EXTEN})
exten => _N.,2,Congestion
exten => _N.,3,HangUp

Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is that the gateway server
will forward to the main asterisk server all incoming calls into the
[inbound] context so that the main asterisk server will have all the
necessary logic to process all corresponding DIDs or what have you.
At the same time, whenever the main asterisk server wants to make ANY
outbound call, it will simply send it to the [outbound] context of
the gateway server for it to place the actual call(s).

Does this make sense to you guys? Am I missing anything? Is there
anything I should be concerned with or that I should watch out for?

Thanks,
Daniel