[Asterisk-Users] CNAM lookup: new method for Caller ID Name delivery

Mike Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Mon May 9 07:01:16 MST 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:20:55AM -0400, Nathan Goodwin wrote:
> John Todd wrote:
>
> >Downsides:
> >  1) They want you to sign an NDA before they'll discuss the methods
> >with you.

Industry typical.  They should be reciprocal.  Both parties have to
announce anything confidential is going to be said, shown, or
transmitted.  You can refuse to receive the indicated material and ask
questions about how your business might be affected after having
received the indicated information. It is often used to protect pricing information or
contract terms.  It could cover interface technology to slow down the
competitors.

NDAs are often written in plain English and are 1-2 pages long.

> >  2) They have a $100 monthly minimum charge.

This charge seems like it invites small business and repels hobbyists.

$100/month versus nX$1000/month for SS7 may be useful to some.

I like your paypal idea.  I think something like that will be available
before too long.  I like the idea of offering a full menu of SS7
services over IP using a paypal remuneration scheme.

> >  3) There may be hidden problems with the application; I haven't run
> >it, so I can't vouch for it.

I know how CNAM works.  It's bone simple.  I think you can count on the
Accudata offering working.

> >Other notes:
> >  The clever integrator of this application will save themselves some
> >lookup $ by caching the responses from the database into their own
> >database, along with a datestamp.

Contractual terms may prevent this.

> If it isn't agiast there agement, I would happy setup a "resale" server
> for this just as you said, and probly at the prces you listed, I will
> look into this  abit more later today.

Talk with Accudata.  If you have a way to aggregate volume and deliver
it to them from a single billing point, they probably going to listen.

--
Mike