[Asterisk-Users] Cellsocket help needed

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sun May 8 13:53:19 MST 2005

Robert Webb wrote:

>>I don't see what the use for that is in the US. Since it
>>doesn't really cost more money to call cell phones.
>>

> <>
> But if you have unlimited Night and weekends, unlimited mobile to
> mobile, etc.. It would work really nice for saving money. Also, it is
> agood fail over in case your VoIP goes down or could even be used for
> limited 911 access in the case of no POTS line. There are also some
> free incoming plans where you do not use minutes for any incoming calls.
>
> Robert

Also, Cell sockets are not just for GSM, but TDMA and CDMA phones as
well, in the US, and probably elsewhere. I don't think  they make one
for the Nextel iDen, but who knows where that will end up after the
Sprint merger..
Cellsockets output POTS, looking much like an FXS, so they can go into
any loop start PBX circuit.
Calls can be made with DTMF, and  terminated by a # to represent the
send key. Incoming calls provide a ring signal. They can also be
connected, of course, to any analog phone
They fit a limited number of phones, though.

John Novack