[Asterisk-Users] Re: Who's happy with their voip service?

Bryce W Nesbitt bryce1 at obviously.com
Sun May 8 10:48:04 MST 2005

>I started out happy as a clam with my new Broadvoice account and
>asterisk machine.  About 10 days ago things began to change....
>Who's happy with their voip service using asterisk?
>Where do you get reliable DIDs?
>The 'carrier partner' they speak of.. can you get the did directly from
>them?
>Are all the voip providers this flakey?

I've tried 5 providers, and I can't say that I'm happy with any of them.  I'm far to small to deal with 'carrier partners' directly (e.g. Level 3, XO or RNK).  So I have to deal through resellers.  And they all seem to be operating on shoestrings and duct tape.

I'm OK with the awkward setup, confusing configuration, and (for Asterisk) all but useless documentation.  But high latency, dropouts, unplanned outages, lack of clues, echos, all take the shine off things.  With Asterisk I have very few tools to monitor connection quality, especially on the outbound leg of my calls.  I at least want to know when it sucks, and have some control over parameters.

I keep a POTS line at home.