[Asterisk-Users] At home Asterisk via Broadvoice?

John Stegenga john at stegenga.net
Sat May 7 20:04:49 MST 2005

Hi all - sorry if what I'm asking is FAQ by now - I only have 2789 digest
messages that I've not read yet...

The local phone company (Bell South) has gotten completely out of hand with
their rates, and with them suing anyone who wants to compete against
them...  So, I'm thinking very hard about going ALL VOIP here at home.

Hardware I have:
Old 586 chassis
Old Pentium II laptop
Azatel 2 port adapter (Board ID C02v001.01.00 / Firmware 1.5.6-RC14)

I also have 3 AMD Athlons running Windows 2000.

What I want to do....

Broadvoice will give me 2 lines, with 2 phone numbers each - distinctive
ring - for a reasonable fee...

I want to handle processing the calls incoming on each number differently -
line 1a  = home phone, if no answer after 5 rings, run to asterisk for call
processing (voice mail tree?)
Line 1b = (distinctive ring number) goes directly to fax machine (fax
detects distinctive ring pattern for auto answer)

Line 2a = 'business phone'  - ring, and process to voicemail if no answer
(with other post processing - SMS to my cell phone, etc.)
Line 2b = 'kids phone number' - or something...

I'm thinking Asterisk because broadvoice provides voice mail 'PER LINE' not
per number... and with asterisk I can do lots more!

So, can I run asterisk on the laptop - and have the calls routed to the
Azatel to ring the phones??

Any thoughts?  Clarifications??  Has anyone done something like this
before?  Can asterisk run on windows 2000 if it does not need to use
hardware?

Thanks a MILLION times in advance, guys (and gals!)!

John