[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom 600 rollover

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri May 6 08:40:52 MST 2005

Hi Chris -

> I have the Polycom 500 and 600 phones. Rather than put an entry in for
> each
> line appearance, I would like to use the feature that shares one
> extension
> for the lines, so that I will get the call on the enxt available
> button. How
> do I configure that?

You can register each line on a Polycom to the same username/password
in sip.conf.  If you do this, though, you will not be able to bypass
Polycom's call waiting "feature".  This means that if you're on Line1
and a call comes in, it won't ring to Line2, it will ring to the
"call-waiting" of Line1.  To answer the second call, you have to press
the down arrow on the phone, and then press the answer softkey.  If you
have two active calls on Line1, the third call will ring to Line2, etc.

This setup works fine, if you can train your users on it.  My
experience is that it does not make sense to most users, and that it is
too slow for our receptionists.

If you want the phone to behave like - Call1 goes to Line1, Call2 goes
to Line2, Call3 goes to Line3, etc, you'll have to do multiple
registrations in sip.conf, and then use SetGroup and CheckGroup in the
dialplan to limit the number of calls that can go to a single
registration.  If you need more info, search the archives of this list.
  If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

- Noah