[Asterisk-Users] snom mass deployment (probably off topic)

Nils Ohlmeier Nils.Ohlmeier at snom.de
Fri May 6 05:13:02 MST 2005

Hello,

to prevent further rumores and wrong facts about our phones:

All our phones, and this includes the 360 as well, do store their settings on
the flash. After the settings are stored once, you can leave the phone as
long as you want without power, and it will come up with old settings
whenever you restart it. If this is not the case the person which is facing
the problem should contact the snom support to get this sorted out.

Regarding the real topic: did you already read our white-papers about
mass-deployment and setting up snom phones?
http://www.snom.com/white_papers.html
You do not have to mess around with faked DNS responses. If the phone is
getting a "settings" server via DHCP, it will never contact snom.com (expcept
you say so). The phone just falls back to snom.com as a default setting, in
case it cant find a setting server locally. But in case: you can even turn
off that the phone tries to load any settings from any server.

Best regards
  Nils Ohlmeier

On Friday 06 May 2005 05:40, Daniel Bingham wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> First, thanks for the reply to my questions about the Snom 360.  I may have
> a few followup questions when I get a little more time.
>
> As for the 360 getting the configuration directly from Snom's servers, I
> find that very backwards.  What if your phones have no gateway to the
> internet?  It sounds like they are working around not having any flash
> memory, but it's a poor workaround.  Your idea of using DNS to fool it into
> going to your servers is a good one.  I assume you'll just put in a mapping
> for provisioning.snom.com or just snom.com in your DNS server to the IP of
> your web server.
>
> If I understand correctly, you will be able to create an
> /snom360/snom360.php script on your web server, which you would then like
> to redirect to the static html files in the /snom directory.  Assuming the
> Snom supports redirects, the PHP code is as simple as:
>
> <?php header("Location: /snom/snom360-$_GET[mac].html") ?>
>
> If the phone doesn't support redirects, it gets a little complex, in that
> the script will need to open the file from the filesystem and return it
> directly.
>
> If I misunderstood or I didn't make sense, I'll be happy to try again.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel Bingham
> dan at apci.net

snom technology AG            Gradestr. 46    D-12347 Berlin
Nils Ohlmeier
mailto:nils.ohlmeier at snom.de  http://www.snom.com