[Asterisk-Users] Freak incidents, who's to blame?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 4 05:57:50 MST 2005

> > Everyone has probably experienced this at some point in the past:
> > You pick up your analog phone.  Rather than hearing dialtone, you are
> > connected with someone who has just called you.  Neither you nor them
> > heard a ring.
>
> I don't think this is a freak incident at all. It still happens to me with
> people I call frequently and is easily explainable. you make a call, the
> telco connects it, and before the ring generator comes into a phase of
> putting voltage on the line, they pick up the phone. The circuit was
> connected, it just never got a chance to ring, there is nothing freak
> about it, just a matter of timing.

Might also add that most central office switches do not sync the ringback
audio with the actual ringing of the pstn line. So, ringback in many
cases may be several seconds before/after the actual pstn line is ringing.
Listening for ringback will not be a valid indicator of anything just
in case someone suggests doing that.