[Asterisk-Users] Freak incidents, who's to blame?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue May 3 09:42:04 MST 2005

> Hello all,
>
> Everyone has probably experienced this at some point in the past:
> You pick up your analog phone.  Rather than hearing dialtone, you are
> connected with someone who has just called you.  Neither you nor them
> heard a ring.

I don't think this is a freak incident at all. It still happens to me with
people I call frequently and is easily explainable. you make a call, the
telco connects it, and before the ring generator comes into a phase of
putting voltage on the line, they pick up the phone. The circuit was
connected, it just never got a chance to ring, there is nothing freak
about it, just a matter of timing.

This same thing could apply to asterisk or any other pbx or telco system
since they all use the same basic arrangement of connecting circuits and
ringing them. There is no hard and fast rule I know of that says a line
must ring at least once before the called station can go off hook. Modems
and such can be programmed with this rule, but a person picking up can do
so at any random time.

An exception would be when there is more than one call path to a phone,
and effectively picking up to dial is not the same as picking up to answer
an incoming call.

Also, this could start happening more, not less as technology progresses
since something like camp-on would have higher odds of hitting this
situation since it constantly retries the number instead of the randomness
at both ends if humans are involved.

> Maybe it's just me, but it seems these "freak incidents" would occur
> more frequently years ago, than now.
>
> I've now experienced this a couple of times with an * system (TDM400p
> - quad FXO):
> A SIP exten dials digits which are answered by a Zap trunk.  As soon
> as Zap answers, the SIP extension is connected with an inbound (PSTN)
> caller (who was expecting to hear an IVR).
>
> My questions are:  Who's to blame (telco, tdm card, * config,
> gremlins)?  Is this avoidable?
>
> Thanks
> Ryan

> !DSPAM:4277a74f32083462913418!

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com