[Asterisk-Users] Hardware Capacity/Configuration

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Tue May 3 19:21:44 MST 2005

I know this is a frequent topic on the list. Sorry if this creates more
bandwidth but I couldn't get my specific answer from neither the wiki
nor searching the list.

I've read that a P4 3GHz+ should be sufficient to handle a 4 T1s on a
single CPU machine. I am setting up a proof of concept machine but I
was only able to get a P4 1.6GHz machine. If this machine is only going
to be "forwarding" the calls to another, much more powerful, Asterisk
machine which will handle more demanding call processing rules,
scripts, Monitoring, etc, do you think this CPU will be able to handle
the 4 T1s? Will it handle 3? 2? 1? Efficiently, of course.

The idea is to setup a basic VoIP gateway whose only intelligence will
be to forward ALL incoming calls to another Asterisk box using IAX as
well as placing outbound calls through the T1s from other Asterisk
boxes communicating using IAX.

Comments?

Thanks,
Daniel