[Asterisk-Users] cisco7940 upgrading problem - Emailfound in subject

Michael J. Tubby B.Sc (Hons) G8TIC mike.tubby at thorcom.co.uk
Tue May 3 07:54:38 MST 2005

Ah... the on going saga of upgrading Cisco phones to SIP ... have a look at
this
recent Cisco authored document:

    http://www.tubby.org/cisco-voip/Cisco_7940_and_7960_firmware_upgrade_matrix.pdf

and see if you can get your head around it...

I'm planning on writing a "Cisco phone upgrading HOWTO" but just need some
round-tuits!

In summary:

    - Cisco have three firmware suits for the  7940/7960 (MGCP, SCCP and
SIP)

    - Cisco have added cryptographic signing of binaries that run on the
phones and a
      bootloader called the Universal Application Loader (UAL), this means
that there are
      "old" (unsigned) binaries and "new" (signed) binaries

    - To upgrade you need to follow (carefully) the advice in the Cisco
document, but
      even then it may fail to work -- hence why I am going to write a HOWTO

    - Cisco's own documentation is _wrong_ and _misleading_ in places --
hence why
      I am going to write a HOWTO.  For example the SIP 7.xx Administrator's
Guide
      still refers to phones fetching by TFTP the OS79XX.TXT file when they
do not --
      you can see by running a network analyser and watching the TFTP RRQs.
I have
      told Cisco about this documentation error and I beleive it'll be fixed
in the next
      release ;o)

Upgrading from early SCCP image to recent SIP image (Mike's method)

The process which I use and which is repeatable is not the same as the one
Cisco
recommend -- I have not been able to get the phone to upgrade from early
SCCP
to late SIP in a single step.

You will need the following:

a) a TFTP server

b) a DHCP server configured to support "option 66" as an IP address and
pointing at the TFTP server and "option 150" as an IP address and pointing
at
the TFTP server

c) a version 6.xx SCCP image for the 7940/7960 -- CallManager 4.0(1) has
this in the Cisco TFTP server directory -- you need these files:

    [root at gate tftpboot]# ls -l P00306000100.*
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 124592 Jan  5  2004 P00306000100.bin
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root    461 Jan  5  2004 P00306000100.loads
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 606306 Jan  5  2004 P00306000100.sb2
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 124996 Jan  5  2004 P00306000100.sbn
    [root at gate tftpboot]#

d) the latest SIP firmware, eg. P0S-07-4-00 -- for example:

    [root at gate tftpboot]# ls -l P0S3-07-4-00.*
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 592222 Mar 10 15:44 P0S3-07-4-00.bin
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root    461 Mar 10 16:01 P0S3-07-4-00.loads
    -rwxr--r--  1 root root 592626 Mar 10 15:45 P0S3-07-4-00.sb2
    [root at gate tftpboot]#

e) a text editor to fiddle with config files

The way I upgrade phones is two-pass:

    1. upgrade from early SCCP to late SCCP, eg 6.0(1)
    2. upgrade from late SCCP to current SIP

this fixes the problem of getting the UAL in to the phone so that it will be
happy to load the SIP image.

Procedure:

1. Put all of the files listed above in the root of the TFTP server

2. Ceate file OS79XX.TXT and put the following in it:

    P00306000100

   on a single line

3. Ceate file SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml and put the following in it:

    <device>
    <loadInformation>P00306000100</loadInformation>
    </device>

4 Boot the phone and wait -- I recommend watching the TFTP server for
activity.

   The phone should:
        a) boot up with whatever version of SCCP is in it, eg. P0030202MFG2
        b) grab the OS79XX.TXT file
        c) download the non-secure SCCP 6.0(1) image -- it doesn't know
about
                signed images at this point
        d) upgrade itself (install the UAL and SCCP 6.0(1) image)
        e) reboot
        f) query the TFTP server again
        g) load the secure/signed version of the SCCP 6.0(1) image

   You now have an upgraded 7940/7960 with a recent SCCP image 6.0(1) in it
    which has the UAL and can load signed images.

5. Remove the OS79XX.TXT file -- yes -- this is one of the places that me
and
   cisco disagree

6. Edit the file SEP<mac-address>.cnf.xml created previously and change the
   load id to the SIP image

    <device>
    <loadInformation>P0S3-07-4-00</loadInformation>
    </device>

7. Boot the phone again.  The phone will go for the OS79XX.TXT file -- don't
   worry about this, it will timeout and then go for the
SEP<macaddress>.cnf.xml
   file and download the SIP image

8. Leave the phone for some time, the UAL will load the SIP image, then
reboot
   and then come up again.

9. Eventually the phone will switch to SIP-mode and will say UNPROVISIONED
   because it failed to obtain the file SIP<mac-address>.cnf from the TFTP
server

You're now up and running with SIP -- you need to create the following
files:

    SIP<mac-address>.cnf
    SIPDefault.cnf
    dialplan.xml
    RINGLIST.DAT

to suit your installation, configure Asterisk, etc.

Mike